The Student News Site of Essex High School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Q&A With EHS’s Newest Playwright: Theo Herrin

The Essex High School Theater program is performing senior Theodore (Theo) Herrin’s original one-act play, Ellie, March 14-17 in the EHS Auditorium. Theo offered insight into the writing process and what inspired him to write an original work. 

The Hive: Could you give a brief description of Ellie?

Herrin: Ellie is about a freshman-aged teen who struggles with grief, guilt, and anxiety due to a traumatic experience he had at a young age. Throughout the play he navigates memories, dreams, and real life to come to terms with his own thoughts about himself. 

The Hive: What or who inspired you to write Ellie? 

Herrin: I was inspired to write Ellie by the concept of the ensemble as a singular character/force in the show. In Ellie, the ensemble represents the main character’s subconscious thoughts that torment him. I was also inspired by the question of how to best physicalize an internal struggle onstage.

The Hive: When did you start writing Ellie?

Herrin:  I started writing it around December of 2022.

The Hive: What was the most difficult part of the writing process? Your favorite part?

Herrin: The most difficult part of the writing process was definitely tightening the story and figuring out what to cut, what to keep, and what to change. Revision was most of the writing process. My favorite part was the first read-through, where I heard my work being spoken by real people and truly realized for the first time. It was a very rewarding experience.

The Hive: Do you direct the play or do anything on top of writing it?

Herrin: The play is directed by Brittany Flynn, but I do act in it, as two characters, the main character’s father and the Warden.

The Hive: Do you plan to do more of this in the future?

Herrin: I plan on going to college for theatre, but most of the programs I applied and auditioned for are acting degrees. However, I will definitely seek out writing opportunities wherever I can.