The Student News Site of Essex High School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Vermont’s Top Trails

From the lively, green leaves and flowers hinting at the first signs of spring to the erupting sea of reds and oranges rushing in, pulling autumn over the Green Mountains, there is never a dull moment when hiking in Vermont. Out of over 375 trails and 38 wheelchair-accessible trails spreading throughout the state, there is bound to be a hike fit for you. Growing up in the Green Mountain State, I was practically raised on the trails, so naturally, I’ve formed a few favorites after exploring each one a multitude of times. 

A view from Mt. Mansfield off Maple Ridge Trail (Ella Stanton)

The biggest mountain in Vermont, Mount Mansfield, and the second largest, Camel’s Hump, while difficult, are home to three of my favorite views I’ve ever come across. 

A family favorite is the Maple Ridge Trail off of the Frost Trail which resides on Mount Mansfield. According to AllTrails.com, this hike begins in Underhill on the Frost Trail and stretches up and loops back down for 4.7 miles and 2,463 ft. The Maple Ridge Trail is a sharp turn-off to the left of the Frost Trail and leads you up to the Forehead of Mount Mansfield. This is considered a fairly difficult hike with a large portion of it being scrambles and “rock garden” caves. 

My mother, Rachel Stanton, has been hiking through Vermont since she came to college here in 1999. 

“I love the Maple Ridge Trail because it’s hard work, but there are views almost the entire way up!” Stanton said. “My favorite view in Vermont is part of the Maple Ridge Trail when it interacts with the Wallace Cutoff.”

As difficult as it may be, the views the whole way up make it worth the rough climb.

Mansfield, Burrows Trail on Camel’s Hump (Ella Stanton)

Taking a small step down from Mansfield, Burrows Trail on Camel’s Hump houses my personal favorite fall foliage hike. This hike is out-and-back, running 4.4 miles and climbs 2,228 feet up. Beginning in Huntington with flowers and trees, and going all the way to the summit with alpine vegetation, you’ll never lose sight of life on the mountain. Just remember, do the “rock walk” at the top to preserve the rare alpine vegetation!

During leaf-peeping season, once you emerge from the tree line and take a look around you, you’ll find yourself entranced by the explosions of red, orange, and yellow, pulling Vermont into the depths of autumn.

Kennedy Joyette, EHS 11th grader, doesn’t hike often but has hopes to see this magnificent view one day

“I’ve never hiked Camel’s Hump but I really want to. I would especially like to do a sunrise hike  one day,” Joyette said.

Now, saving the best for last, my personal favorite hike in the state of Vermont is Sunset Ridge, up the side of Mount Mansfield. Summer 2023 was the first time I had ever done it, and it was for the sunrise. Since that August morning, I’ve done it five times. Sunset Ridge starts in Underhill State Park and is a 5.1-mile out-and-back that climbs 2,539 feet up. This hike spends about ⅓ of it in the forest then suddenly emerges onto a huge rock ridge that provides 360-degree views of Vermont.

Sunrise from Mt. Mansfield (Ella Stanton)

Cameron Brinegar, a junior at MMU, was the one who first introduced me to this hike. He was shocked that I had never hiked it and suggested that we go up for the sunrise. Unfortunately, there was no sunrise the first time due to clouds, however, one month later we made a second sunrise attempt and saw the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. 

“I’ve never seen a sunrise as perfect as the ones I’ve seen over Sunset Ridge,” Brinegar said. “I’ve done it every summer for two years, and it’s my favorite hike.” 

Now, while all these hikes are considered pretty difficult and meant for experienced hikers, you don’t have to brave these trails to get a beautiful view. There are many local to Essex and deep in the Green Mountain hikes that are stunning and require minimal skill. My favorite is Bolton, which walks you up a rocky access road to a gorgeous view of Vermont. 

Whether you’re a generation-long Vermonter, or just moved here, the Vermont hiking views are one to impress every time, without fail. Pack that hiking bag, get out on those trails, and be ready to be blown away by our beautiful little state!

Works Cited: https://www.alltrails.com/us/vermont