Patrick Monahan’s True Love

Keegan Genzlinger, Staff Writer

Varsity hockey captain, Patrick Monahan, sat down with me to talk about his upcoming season and the importance of team chemistry: 

What is your name and grade?

I’m Patrick Monahan, and this year I’m a senior.  

When did you start playing hockey?

I started around when I was 10 years old. I have always played youth hockey since I was little, and I’d go to camps in the summertime and my dad would help me out in the wintertime.

Why did you start playing hockey?

It was just a family thing. My entire family played hockey. My dad and his three other brothers all play. They’d always play in the driveway, so it was kind of just something forced on me, but I love it.

What position do you play?

I always played defense growing up. Then my first three years on the team, I was switched to a forward, but this year I’m back to defense.

What is your favorite position that you have played?

Defense for sure. It’s just more comfortable to me. You get to see everybody on the ice at one time which I find more comfortable.

How do you feel the team is looking this year?

This is definitely not the most skilled team I played on this year, but for sure were the closest. We definitely have the best chemistry so far. I definitely would say the senior class this year, they’re just working really hard to include all the younger kids. They’re trying to make it just a good environment in the locker room and everybody’s doing the best they can. 

How did the hockey team feel about the recent suspension of all after school activities?

It was definitely tough after last year. As a team, we were always fighting to find some ways to get on the ice and practice together. It definitely showed in our most previous game that we just played that we need the practice time. We went to Lake Placid last night, and we took a hard four-zero loss against a not so great team. It definitely shows that getting on the ice and practicing and staying together as a team is most important. So when they first announced that we couldn’t get back to practice after a bunch of COVID outbreaks it was pretty tough. And then the whole stereotype of the hockey team being the face of not wearing masks and being the reason why school sports are being put aside for the moment, it’s just tough to watch because as a team and being one of the leaders of the organization it’s tough to see our guys being blamed for all of this. Everyone is doing what’s right, we’re keeping our masks up for the most part, and we’re doing our best. They’re very quick to point fingers, but I think it’s really tough to not be able to practice and stay together after weeks of staying together. 

What should new students know about the team?

You have to show up every day willing to work every day. You have to earn your spot on the team, regardless if you’ve made it before in the past, you just gotta work hard.

Are there any games you are looking forward to?

Definitely the rivalry between us and BFA. It’s always a good game to watch.

As a veteran of the team, what’s the coolest experience you’ve had being a part of the team?

In the past years, we used to go to Potsdam for a New York trip, and we all got together in a hotel room just for the night. It was a great experience to bond with your teammates.

What is your favorite sports movie? 

I gotta say the Mighty Ducks. It’s just a classic, and you can’t go wrong with it.

Are there any interesting facts about yourself?

I love ramen noodles. That’s about it.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I’m usually just hanging out with friends, playing hockey. I guess it always comes back to that, just trying to get better everyday. But usually when I do catch a break between school and applying to colleges and hockey, I’m sleeping so I can’t ask for much more than that.

Do you have any siblings? 

I have one sister who is 20 years old.

Do you have any pets?

I have two pugs, Lulu and Peanut. 

Do you have a favorite pet?

I definitely say dogs. Pugs specifically I just like their little scrunched up face.

Stay tuned for my next interview with Marie Erickson!