The Student News Site of Essex High School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Opinion: Ambiance makes Uncommon the best study spot

According to Spoon University, research shows that coffee shop ambiance increases creativity and motivation rather than libraries or offices. The coffee shop industry has grown and expanded due to their loyal fan base. As more cafes have been added to Essex, Vermont, the selection has increased and competition has escalated. As someone who typically goes to a coffee shop once a week to study and do homework, I am confident about the essential qualities that create a productive coffee shop environment. Uncommon Coffee is the best coffee shop in Essex to study at because of the comforting and inspiring atmosphere. 

Throughout my high school career, I’ve spent my Sunday mornings studying at various local cafes, and I’ve discovered that the challenge isn’t finding delicious chocolate croissants, but instead finding a study atmosphere that enables productivity. When evaluating coffee shops, aesthetics, space, and noise are the most important qualities that differentiate the good versus the top tier study spots. 

Although it might sound unimportant, the aesthetics of your surroundings are essential for a productive and inspiring coffee shop experience. Simple Minded, written by Jodie Locklear, is a blog that posts about intentional living, design, and life’s simple pleasures. She believes that aesthetics are important for living a happy life. 

“Simply put, aesthetics make us happy,” Locklear said.  “On an emotional level they elicit feelings of happiness and calm. They connect us to our ability to reflect on and appreciate the world around us which in turn gives us feelings of contentment and hope.”

Locklear emphasizes the impact aesthetics have on individuals, correlating directly to why Uncommon Coffee is the best coffee shop around. The vibe and aesthetic presented throughout the whole cafe produces a calm, inspiring, and creative atmosphere that is critical to productivity. The ambience created through the rustic bookshelves, vintage art, and lively plants transform you when you walk in.

When studying, it is critical that you have space to do your work and feel comfortable. I believe this quality sets Uncommon a part from other local coffee shops, as it is a spacious setting filled with various tables, booths, and couches. Whether you go alone or with a large group of people, there are options for you and your group which is a valuable component. 

Aggie Morse, a junior at Essex High School, has been going to study at Uncommon since it opened a few years ago. 

“The booths are a unique trait that Uncommon Coffee offers,” Morse said. “The spacious booths provide a comfortable study environment that allow me to do my best work away from home.” 

The last quality that is extremely important in order to be productive is the noise levels. Too loud is distracting, when too quiet can be awkward. There is a perfect balance of background noise and white noise at Uncommon. It is composed of people talking and calm music that makes focusing and studying possible. The noise level affects calmness and productivity which is an essential part of a study environment. Uncommon has mastered this quality, as it is always a comfortable noise level. 

Essex is filled with a diverse selection of coffee shops, bagel shops, and bakeries that have impressive menus and customer service, but they don’t compare to Uncommon Coffee’s environment. Although many coffee shops in Five Corners are a convenient location for many students, they don’t encapsulate the study atmosphere like Uncommon. The other coffee shops are much smaller in size, which makes the experience loud, crowded, and intimate in a negative way. Having space to do your work is a critical factor in a place to study and be productive, which isn’t guaranteed in the other coffee shops. Although their drinks and baked goods are delicious, the environment isn’t the most ideal for studying. 

Uncommon Coffee deserves all the credit and appreciation it receives. It is an aesthetic, spacious, and comfortable cafe that serves hundreds of people everyday and plays a pivotal part in their productivity. I encourage and hope you all can find your version of an Uncommon Coffee in your town. After spending over fifty hours studying at Uncommon Coffee, I can confidently say that it is the best local coffee shop to get your work done, plus it has remarkable maple lattes.