The Student News Site of Essex High School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Students Get a Leg Up with EHS’s Internship Class

Essex High School assists students who are navigating the world of college, careers, and future steps by providing an internship course, where students gain exposure to professionalism, build a network, and explore career options. 

Essex High School’s internship course is a semester class that involves both class instruction and real-world experience at local businesses. Pam Hemingway has been EHS’s Career Development Coordinator for the last 12 years. She plays an intricate role in supporting and advancing students’ internship experience.

Pam Hemingway, Career Development Coordinator

“Every day is different,” Hemingway said when asked about her job. “I work with students on any given day on either their internship placements, job opportunities, resumes, or cover letters.”  

The internship class provides students with an opportunity to learn more about their passions, strengths, and weaknesses as they work in the community. 

“It has supported students in several ways, as they get the opportunity to gain experience where they can consider [is this something] they really want while building a network,” Hemingway said. “I’ve had people going to the medical field, and then they realize things like ‘oh yeah no I can’t deal with bodily fluids.’”

During an internship, advisors instruct, inspire, and lead students through 40 internship hours. 

“For example, civil engineering, I could research what are the best schools for civil engineering and some of the skills but it is special and valuable to actually talk to somebody who is doing that career,” Hemingway said. 

In addition, Forbes News published an article where they asked several members of the Forbes Human Resources Council why internships are so important. Megan Leasher responded by emphasizing the value in building relationships. 

“Relationships are the foundation for a successful career. They provide guidance, clarity, feedback and a safe space for asking questions,” Leasher wrote. “We all need that kind of navigational guidance early on. A mentor taking an intern under their wing to provide trust will instill confidence and empowerment to last a lifetime.”

The impacts of internship go beyond EHS, as studies have shown the underlying benefits for students. Zippia, a career focused website, published an article, where Elsie Boskamp highlights the effectiveness of internships for future careers. 

“70% of all interns are offered a position at the same company they interned for, and only 20% decline that offer,” Boskamp wrote. 

The internship course allows students to gain experience in any desired field. Students follow many different paths including elementary education, finance and accounting, or medicine. 

“I did my internship through UVM Medical Center and I loved it! I was able to shadow many different departments and programs I thought I would be interested in,” an EHS student said. “It was an amazing experience, and I would recommend the internship class to someone who isn’t sure what they want to do after high school.” 

Hemingway has worked with hundreds of students throughout her time at EHS, but there is one student who she said is most memorable.

A struggling student was in the internship class who didn’t know what he wanted to do and was on the verge of not graduating. He was placed at Vermont State Parks Department where he immediately found a passion and ended up graduating. 

“The great thing is he found a connection between what he was learning in the classroom and what he was doing in his internship,” Hemingway said. “Through the internship a lot changed. He had to work hard, but he was extremely motivated. It’s really exciting watching kids mature through their internships and is one of my biggest highlights.”