On the Purpose of Our Journalism: a Letter from The Hive Editors

“The function of journalism is, primarily, to uncover vital new information in the public interest and to put that information in a context so that we can use it to improve the human condition.” – Joshua Oppenheimer

The Hive is entering its second year of operation at EHS, and throughout this past year, we have written all of our pieces with a central theme: to highlight the student voice. As a student oriented news site, it is our responsibility to advocate on behalf of you, the students, to report on issues of interest, and to bring necessary information to light. We are here to empower you and give the necessary justice to every story that comes across our desk. We aim to write objectively, with balance, and honoring truth. Our journalism is a process, and we always want to get the full scope of an issue before we publish. You have the right to hold us accountable, and we welcome you to challenge ideas and contribute to lively community-wide dialogues. 

Last year, we reported on all aspects of our school community. We dove into the inner workings of sports teams, introduced you to important school personnel, and brought you news that makes an impact. 

This year, we will strive to bring you our strongest reporting. We will continue to report for you, and with your best interest in mind. You can access our official site here and follow us on Instagram @theehshive. 

If you’ve discovered a story, or have an idea that you believe our school community needs to hear, please email us at [email protected]

With gratitude, 

The Hive Editors

Maddie Ahmadi, Katie Adams, Anna Hoppe, Eli Robinson, and Ella Weidman