Meet EHS’ Most Adorable Student

Henry at the Fairfield Library

Lily Larsen, Staff Writer

Meet Henry! You may have seen him in the learning lab or in some classrooms at Essex High School. He has been the therapy dog for the past three years at school, even before Covid started. He may seem just like a sweet, giant dog, but he is much more than what meets the eye.

Henry is a six and a half year old Newfoundland who has spent a lot of time training and earning many titles! Mrs. McKee, currently a substitute teacher at the high school, has had much experience bringing up competition Newfoundland dogs. Some of her dogs even come from the same family. Many of her dogs have gone on to be nationally recognized and grand champions of their breed. Newfoundland dogs are commonly referred to as a “gentle giant”. They are typically sweet-tempered and easy to train in comparison to other breeds. Most commonly they are black in color, but other colors aren’t uncommon, like white.

In school Henry has been a help with exam week as a fluffy companion to destress with. He didn’t come into the school for midterms, but finals this year is definitely a possibility. Ever since he was a young puppy, he has been reading with kids in the Essex Westford School District. Now ninth graders, each second grade student at one point read with him in Westford, where Mrs. McKee used to substitute teach. Due to Covid and concern for allergies his time in school has been limited. He works well in the learning lab because of the small environment and minimum number of kids.

So far, Henry has earned American Kennel Club (AKC) and Canadian (CKC) breed championship titles. He has met the confirmation standards and has been judged in dog shows in the Northeast, recently in Springfield, Mass (pictured on the left with Mrs. McKee). He has completed his obedience title as a companion dog (CD), which is another certification that helps him with his work in schools. Henry competed right here at the Expo, where he was high in trial at the Burlington Obedience Training Club.

Currently, he is in training to become a water rescue and draft (carting) dog. This past summer he took steps towards this and qualified as a beginner water rescue dog. A carting title is in his future as well. 

Recently, Henry has been working with students in the RYSE program at EHS. Henry’s companionship training is a crucial aspect of his work with everyone. Fairfax library benefited from both Henry’s and Ms. McKee’s time for many years. They, just like at Westford some years ago, read with young children. The reading experience with Henry made many children excited to go to the library. Henry usually reads with students in grades K-2 and each session with individual students lasts fifteen minutes.

Henry is a dog we are lucky to have at our school and feel safe around. His welcoming presence is a comfort in the various places in the school you may find him. When you do spot him in the halls, make sure to think about how he is much more than a therapy dog, but an overall cuddly friend!